This is why I need a healthy diet
Some folks eat to live. Me? I live to eat. I’m a foodie. Can I blame it on my parents? Dad was taking me to the Lorain (Ohio) International Food Festival when I was a little kid. We would try all sorts of amazing dishes prepared by little old ladies from this country or that. And Mom always had a great restaurant in mind when we traveled. In writing my Boulder Top 10 Italian Bistros I’m definitely not limiting it to just the city of Boulder. The surrounding area has some great options as well. There are, of course, more options than I’ll blog on today too.
Without further ado, The Boulder Top 10 Italian Bistros
- Pizzeria Locale and Frasa. Okay, this is really two places. But I’m limiting myself to a Top 10 board. If your budget allows definitely make a reservation and treat yourself to Frasca. Day to day, the next door option (same ownership and soon to be franchised) Pizzeria Locale is awesome. Great decor, a wood burning oven and conducive to business lunches.
- Lucky Pie, Louisville Colorado. Thin crust pizzas delivered to your table on white platters feels more upscale. Very child friendly atmosphere, a touch warm in the summer from the heat of the wood fired oven. Easily makes the Boulder Top 10 Italian Bistros list with items like Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce. Right next door to Sweet Cow for a delicious dessert.
- In an unexpected location, next to Williams Village (CU dorms), you’ll find Carelli’s of Boulder. Upscale and contemporary dining room is visually stunning. The food is complex and delightful. My recommendation: the Pasta Carbonara is excellent. Most entrees served with garlic bread. Great for business lunch or a special evening out or just because you deserve excellent food.
- Bacco Trattoria is located in trendy NoBo. This place has an Italian feeling as you walk in. I’m always surprised when the wait staff addresses me in English.
- Craving pasta? In Louisville, their is the upscale Zucca and the casual comfortable Blue Parrot. Be sure to try each for delicious pasta dishes and a taste of the old country.
- One of my favorites – though I have not been back in ages – is Boulder’s Arugula up at 28th and Iris. We had the most delightful Christmas party there a few years back.
- Pizza on your mind? Boulder offers plenty of great options and my Boulder Top 10 Italian Bistros will be incomplete without recommending Abo’s. Hot, cheesy and thin crusted pizza available by the slice or pie. Several locations dot the Front Range.
Coming in at number 8 on the Boulder Top 10 Italian Bistros list is Parma is another excellent option in Louisville. My son enjoys watching the big screen television which shows the chefs at work. A wide variety on the menu, from small plates to pastas. And if you like small plates or Tapas, be sure to check out The Med in Boulder. While not Italian – it is more Spanish, the Tapas, Paella and Pastas are tops with Boulder diners for over 20 years.
- Get your Italian grinder fix with a dash of straight up New York No BS at Salvaggio’s Deli. Several locations, the prime rib is on the best sandwiches around town.
- One of Boulder’s all time favorites is Pasta Jay’s. Located on the Pearl Street Mall in downtown Boulder. Summers, dine Al fresco or winters join a cheery scene that always seems to have a line out the door. Tip: Be certain to enjoy the garlic bread with your meal.